Gr. 9 Religion Exam Review
- The 8 Beatitudes
- The Seven Deadly Sins
- Four examples of biblical truth: Historical (information about real people in history, cities, battles), Scientific ( , Scriptural (the Gospels, miracles), Symbolic (the apple, the snake, the garden of Eden)
- The 10 Commandments
- The forms of prayer: intercession, petition, adoration, praise, thanksgiving
- Literary forms of the bible (all of them)
- Contextual vs. Literal interpretations of the bible
- How to look up a bible passage (John 3:15-21)
- The old testament – how many books. Aka as the Torah
- The Torah (What are the 5 books)
- Sin, what is it? What does it mean?
- Creation stories 1 & 2
- Virtues: Prudence, Chastity, Charity, Patience, Kindness, Humility
- Vice, meaning
- 7 Sacraments and meanings
- Sacraments of initiation, healing and service
- Preferential option for the poor
- The Communion of Saints
- A Christ-like love
- Chastity, Sexuality and Marriage
- Human sexuality and marriage
- Moral decision making: See, Judge, Act, Evaluate
- Inspiration, meaning.
- Incarnation, meaning.
- Inerrancy, meaning
The first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures are called the Torah.
Inspiration is a direct and personal communication between God and the biblical writers
Incarnation means God becoming fully human in Jesus
Inerrancy means that although there may be minor errors regarding the history or science behind the Scriptures, there is NO ERROR in the message itself.
A bad habit is called a vice. but a good habit is called a virtue.
Vices are behaviours that show immoral standards and damaging behaviour to both self and others like smoking, heavy drinking, gambling, speeding, stealing, lying, hurting others, perversion, etc.
Virtues are behaviors that show high moral standards like goodness, honesty, integrity, dignity, chastity, decency, honour, purity, principles, ethics, morality, righteousness, virtuousness, etc.
The preferential option for the poor reminds us that c) the basic needs of the poor come before luxuries of those who have their basic needs met? Why is this a good thing?
A Christ-like love Is not just an emotion, it is also a decision to take action. Why?
Human sexuality belongs only in marriage because it is expression of not only love, but commitment, devotion, responsibility, service and communion with God in the sanctity of marital union. Chastity (abstaining from sex) is a virtue that is practiced outside of marriage.
Name the four biblical truths and give examples.